In addition to the Pet Health Care Library, visit these websites that provide some great information on Veterinary Dentistry. We will update this page frequently, and would love to hear your ideas on links that you would like to see us add to this page to share with other pet owners. Feel free to send us your favorites. If we like them, we will add them to our list!
Products recommended by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC) are what we look for.
- Veterinary Oral Health Council Look for the VOHC Accepted seal as proof that the product has done testing to prove its claims. Most products on the market today that make claims about preventing dental disease have not, in fact, been tested.There is also a good description of Periodontal Disease.
- Pet Dental Pets Need Dental Care, Too. Hill’s Pet Nutrition web site devoted to pet dental care.
- Healthy Mouth™ Dental Care That Dogs & Cats Drink™. Its patented all-natural formula is clinically proven to reduce plaque, the principle cause of inflammation that leads to gingivitis, painful gum disease, and bacterial infection.
- Kong Kong makes dense rubber chew toys for dogs.
Veterinary Dental Societies and Training
- Academy of Veterinary Dentistry A Fellow of the Academy of Veterinary Dentistry is a veterinarian who has been certified by the Academy of Veterinary Dentistry as having demonstrated a special interest in veterinary dentistry as a result of completing the Academy training requirements and having successfully passed the Academy examination.
- American Veterinary Dental College AVDC is recognized as the specialist certification organization in veterinary dentistry in North America by the American Board of Veterinary Specialties. AVDC diplomates are veterinary dental specialists. Information for Pet Owners on a variety of topics can be found here.
- Academy of Veterinary Dental Technicians The Academy of Veterinary Dental Technicians gives technicians the opportunity to expand their knowledge and their professional value by becoming a credentialed specialist in the field of dentistry. See Case of the Month link for interesting photographs, radiographs and descriptions.
- Animal Dental Training Center “The First Private Post-Graduate Center for Continuing Education in Veterinary Dentistry & Oral Surgery”. Dr Sandy has attended courses on 4 different topics. There is even a picture of her on the course offering page!
Veterinary Dentists (Board Certified)
These sites offer good descriptions of a variety of dental diseases in dogs and cats along with descriptions and photographs of treatments.
- All Pets Dental – Dr Jan Bellows Lots and lots of good information and pictures. The site is a bit frustrating to navigate but well worth the effort.
- Animal Dental Center – Dr Ira Luskin Why Consult a Dentist or Oral Surgeon.
- Animal Dental Care – Dr Tony Woodward Covers topics from home dental care for dogs and cats to root canal treatment and crowns.
- Veterinary Dental Services – Dr Lavan Dr Lavan is a Board Certified Veterinary Dentist in Acton Massachusetts, the closest diplomate to us. Lots of good information on pet dental diseases.
- Dog Beach Dentistry – Dr Niemiec Dr Niemiec is a great lecturer and teacher.
Specific Dental Diseases – Dogs
- Periodontal Disease Royal Canin “White book” on line. This book aims to educate and promote the importance of a good oral hygiene programme for dogs, based upon careful and thorough scientific research.
- The Colyer Institute Dental disease and treatment in wild animals, including Cheetahs, Apes and Elephants.