In addition to the Pet Health Care Library, visit these websites that provide some great information on Veterinary Dentistry. We will update this page frequently, and would love to hear your ideas on links that you would like to see us add to this page to share with other pet owners. Feel free to send us your favorites. If we like them, we will add them to our list!
Products recommended by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC) are what we look for.
- Veterinary Oral Health Council Look for the VOHC Accepted seal as proof that the product has done testing to prove its claims. Most products on the market today that make claims about preventing dental disease have not, in fact, been tested.There is also a good description of Periodontal Disease.
- CET Dental CET makes pet toothpaste and my favorite dog and cat toothbrushes.There is also a good explanation of Periodontal Disease with pictures.
- Pet Dental Pets Need Dental Care, Too. Hill's Pet Nutrition web site devoted to pet dental care.
- OraVet® OraVet® Plaque Prevention Gel is simple, effective and convenient. There is a demonstration movie as well as written information.
- Healthy Mouth™ Dental Care That Dogs & Cats Drink™. Its patented all-natural formula is clinically proven to reduce plaque, the principle cause of inflammation that leads to gingivitis, painful gum disease, and bacterial infection.
- Tartar Shield Tartar Shield makes soft rawhide chews. The rawhide is US made and the soft rawhide will not cause obstructions, like solid rawhide can. And cats love the Tartar Shield Cat Treats.
- Kong Kong makes dense rubber chew toys for dogs.
Veterinary Dental Societies and Training
- American Veterinary Dental Society The AVDS is dedicated to advancing the knowledge, education and awareness of veterinary dentistry among veterinarians, students and the public. Membership includes a yearly subscription to the Journal of Veterinary Dentistry.
- Veterinary Dental Forum The Veterinary Dental Forum was founded in 1987 for the purpose of advancing the knowledge, education, awareness and skills involved in veterinary dentistry among veterinarians, veterinary technicians, veterinary students, veterinary staff and anyone else with an interest in veterinary dentistry. The Veterinary Dental Forum is a three day continuing education experience held every year. Great fun and a great way to immerse yourself in all things veterinary dental!
- Academy of Veterinary Dentistry A Fellow of the Academy of Veterinary Dentistry is a veterinarian who has been certified by the Academy of Veterinary Dentistry as having demonstrated a special interest in veterinary dentistry as a result of completing the Academy training requirements and having successfully passed the Academy examination.
- American Veterinary Dental College AVDC is recognized as the specialist certification organization in veterinary dentistry in North America by the American Board of Veterinary Specialties. AVDC diplomates are veterinary dental specialists. Information for Pet Owners on a variety of topics can be found here.
- Academy of Veterinary Dental Technicians The Academy of Veterinary Dental Technicians gives technicians the opportunity to expand their knowledge and their professional value by becoming a credentialed specialist in the field of dentistry. See Case of the Month link for interesting photographs, radiographs and descriptions.
- Animal Dental Training Center "The First Private Post-Graduate Center for Continuing Education in Veterinary Dentistry & Oral Surgery". Dr Sandy has attended courses on 4 different topics. There is even a picture of her on the course offering page!
Veterinary Dentists (Board Certified)
These sites offer good descriptions of a variety of dental diseases in dogs and cats along with descriptions and photographs of treatments.
Specific Dental Diseases - Dogs
- Periodontal Disease Royal Canin "White book" on line. This book aims to educate and promote the importance of a good oral hygiene programme for dogs, based upon careful and thorough scientific research.
- The Colyer Institute Dental disease and treatment in wild animals, including Cheetahs, Apes and Elephants.